Popular Posts

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year New Pains?

New pains for a New Year, what did you get for the New Year? Okay maybe they aren’t exactly new pains, just recurrent ones that I forget about when I don’t hurt. It has been a heck of a weekend. I have spent more time of the New Year in bed than out of it. Alas…the weather has changed and I am feeling much better.

I made no plans to celebrate the New Year other than to be alone with Cary Grant. (Heavy sigh) I have to admit, I have had a crush on him since I was a little girl, but I digress. I just wanted to stay home. I didn’t want to go anywhere; I just wanted to stay home. I was glad I did as the pain started that night with the weather change. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad curled up in a down blanket, sipping hot cocoa and watching Cary Grant in The Philadelphia Story. Okay, so I like James Stewart too, and to have both of them in the same movie, commercial free? SCORE! (LoL)

And although I spent New Years Eve alone, I was smiling and in a happy mood. Who needed champagne; I had my own form of entertainment. What can I say? I am easily amused.

Laughter is the best medicine. I make sure I have plenty of laughter in my life. It helps reduce the stress. Let’s face it….who needs stress; I have enough of my own. If I didn’t make a point to find humor in things or make myself smile or laugh, no one would want to be around me. When I am in a lot of pain, I become quiet. People will ask me if I am in a bad mood. No, I’m not in a bad mood, I am just concentrating on how to relieve the pain or how to get through the task or chore I am doing at the moment. I think people are so used to seeing me smile, they think I am upset if I’m not smiling. Trust me; if I was upset….you would know it, no questions asked. Ever hear the saying: Hell hath no fury like a redhead? That’s all I’m saying at the moment.

I am sure we all act differently in the face of pain. I think it is important one strives to maintain a sense of humor about it. Why be angry about it? Where will the anger get us? It certainly won’t help to ease the pain. Maybe talking about it helps, maybe laughter helps, or maybe medication helps. We are all different. As for me, I will take my nice warm, cozy down comforter, a cup of hot cocoa and a Cary Grant movie anytime I am feeling pain. Alright, I would watch a Cary Grant movie even if I weren’t in pain. I am a sucker for a charismatic, charming kind of guy.
  
New Year and new pains? No problem! I think I have this year figured out. I will work on distressing and trying to forget the pain by trying to fool my mind with humor and to keep it occupied. Might be simplistic on my part, but hey….if it works, it can’t be all that bad. So here’s to a Happy and Healthier New Year for all of us, Fibromyalgia sufferers or not, we all deserve a better New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment