Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bring Out The Fur

Caution:
Not for the weight  conscious.

Do you suppose women in Siberia or Alaska wear fur lined bras? It gets really, really, really cold there. Eskimos wear fur all the time. I mean at least I think they do, I would if I lived in the frozen tundra area.

It was about 10 degrees outside the other night when I decided to shower and get ready for bed. What a time for the furnace to go out. Oh, did I mention the hot water heater is connected to the furnace? Bummer. So after checking the thermostats, gas and breakers and not finding anything wrong, I called a repairman. “Sure lady, I’ll be out, but the diagnostic fee alone is $130.00.” I replied: “I don’t care, I have no heat!!! AND BESIDES, IT’S UNDER WARRANTY!”  Well, he traipsed on over an hour later and checked it out. Of course he found 2 possible code problems which means he didn’t carry parts with him, he would back tomorrow if he didn’t have to order the parts. Oh how lovely.
Yes, this is Faux fur. No animals were
harmed in this picture
  
Good thing we had 2 small space heaters in the basement and a fireplace. At least I had them going before the repairman came. Of course the fireplace is no where near the bedrooms and you couldn’t place the space heaters in the bedrooms because you needed to keep the pipes from freezing. So….we concentrated the heat in the bathroom and kitchen areas. After shooing everyone off to bed and tending the fire until 7 a.m., I felt I really needed to sleep.

Piling up layers of blankets helped to keep the warmth in. As always, I have a down pillow and comforter to rely on. Needless to say, this was not the time to sleep naked or half dressed, so I jumped into bed covered from head to toe and pulled the comforter, quilt and blanket up. Sadly, I thought it would be warmer if I were working for Scrooge just then. But I digress….I wouldn’t have to see Scrooge until the following day and I should be warmed up by then.

Trying to get warm enough to fall asleep, I began thinking of Eskimos. I wondered did they wear fur lined underwear. I don’t think I could handle the frozen tundra unless I had some. So I made sure I had my makeshift sock puppets on and burrowed even further under the plethora of blankets. Warm thoughts, warm thoughts, think of warm thoughts I kept telling myself. So I thought of myself living in medieval times and having a bed with plush velvet curtains surrounding the bed to keep out the cold. A bed piled high with soft, warm furs in a room with a ginormous roaring fireplace. Of course, the servants would have just removed the hot bath from my room. It would have been a huge tub with hot stones added to the water hot and rose petals and lavender to scent the water. Hey, if you’re gonna dream, you may as well dream big.

Surprisingly these warm thoughts worked to keep me warm. Every time I awoke I just snuggled down deeper into the warmth of my imaginary fur bedding. I have to say, I absolutely and totally forgot about the heating pad I owned! (Must have been the fibro fog.) Even as cold as it got, I was able to keep my fibromyalgia pain at bay. I felt cold all day the next day until the following morning. The repairman came back with the parts the next afternoon and we were able to have nice toasty rooms by bedtime. So on these cold winter nights that we have ahead of us, I will keep using my imaginary fur bedding to help comfort me and keep me warm.

I just might have to pursue the fur bra idea. You never know when you could be stranded in a meat locker or Siberia. I bet Mrs. Claus has one hidden under her dress and apron. So let’s stay warm out there and think warm furry happy thoughts!

There are several Canadian and American
fur bra liner manufacturers.
P.S. I just checked on line and they do make fur bra liners. I just might have to buy me some!

No comments:

Post a Comment