Popular Posts

Friday, December 3, 2010

Cold Hands Anyone?

Cold hands, warm heart….or so they say. I would rather have warm hands and a warm heart, especially on a cold night. So I decide to take things into my own hands. Literally.

While helping my father fold his laundry the other day, I watched him as he carefully examined his socks. Wondering what held his fascination, I asked him if his socks were okay or if he needed new ones. He replied that he had 10 new pair already in his dresser and he was wondering whether he trade his old socks out for the new ones. Mind you, there didn’t seem to be anything wrong with his ones. I think he just likes new socks.
When I asked him what he planned on doing with his old ones, he asked if I wanted them. I couldn’t reply quickly enough, SURE! He thought I wanted to wear them around the house. No, they were too big for that, I wanted them for my arms and hands. No, not sock puppets. No, not sock monkeys either. My grand plan? To use them during the cold days and nights on my Fibromyalgiac hands.

Weird? Maybe, but I find it works. I cut off the toes and cut a slit in the heel, just big enough for my thumb to pop through. It’s easy to get carried away and cut too much; I did that the first time I made my fibro gloves. It is always best to cut too little and take more away later than to cut too much. I don’t bother stitching them up or finishing the edges. Maybe I should, but I don’t bother. They cover me from elbow to knuckles leaving my finger tips free. I have used them at work while typing away in a cold office, in bed while reading and sometimes even sleeping in them. For some reason, the last few years, my Fibro seems to have settled in my arms, shoulders and hands. Of course part of that may be due to the fact that I broke my right hand when I was 18 and broke some fingers in my left hand a few years later.

Okay….I am a klutz, I admit it for the entire world to see. Those of you who know me, know I am accident prone. Who else do you know gets a ten penny nail in their knee that has to be surgically removed, stabs themselves in the knuckle with a dental tool, falls down a flight a stairs not once, but 3 times in her life, sprains her neck, ankle, knees and wrist over stupid things? Well…you just met her. I have been a klutz since childhood. I have also experienced aches, pains, and light sensitivity since childhood. I never said anything, never told a soul what I was experiencing. I just thought it was a fact of life. I thought everyone felt that way, they just never complained. Maybe I had the early symptoms of FMS since childhood; maybe the FMS makes me a klutz.


Whatever the reason, I know I must find solutions to certain problems that present themselves, one of them being hurting hands. They may not be elegant fingerless gloves, but they work without being cumbersome. I like cotton and I find cotton socks to be comfortable on my hands….and my feet. Just make sure you wash them before you put them on your hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment