Popular Posts

Monday, November 22, 2010

How to survive a turkey dinner


So….you’re going to make a big turkey dinner for your family and maybe even a few friends. How are you going to survive the cooking, the baking, the cleaning and oh yeah, the pain of it all?  So how can you do it without killing yourself in the process? When I have the answer to that, I will let you know.

We had a turkey dinner planned for this past weekend. The plan was to have a dinner then go and see a movie (Harry Potter of course). So it takes a few days to get the house in order of course. After work, I found a little time each day to plan the menu, get the shopping done, and clean the house one room at a time while caring for my father after hand surgery. The day started early on the day of my fathers’ surgery, so I took advantage of cleaning several rooms that day. I still can’t believe I found time to do it all, but somehow I got it done.

The night before our turkey dinner I took the turkey out of the fridge to start the brine. After making sure I had the neck and innards removed, I placed the turkey and brine in the cooler and set it in the garage to remain cool. Dinner wouldn’t be until 5:30 or 6:00 the next evening, so it would have a good 15 hours to brine. I prepped the candied yams and green bean casserole for baking the next day. While prepping the dishes, I had a placed a pan of water and eggs on to boil for deviled eggs. Our guests were to bring dessert, so I didn’t plan any. I decided I have enough to do. I made a gallon of iced tea after prepping the green bean casserole. After a long day at work, I decided that was enough work for the night, so I hopped in the shower and went downstairs to take a load off.

Oh man, time for bed. As I pulled myself up the stairs and went through the mental list of what I still needed to do. I could sleep in tomorrow. What a concept! When I got up the stairs, I realized the eggs were still setting out. Should I peel them now or wait until morning? What the heck….I did them then. Eggs peel better when they are room temperature anyway. I learned that a long time ago. By the time I had them peeled and washed, I realized I had better start the dishwasher. Okay, then I could go to sleep.

Off to bed, I felt like I was well set for time next day and I could sleep in. In bed and relaxing I picked up my newest book to read. Too bad I fell asleep while reading it. I even dreamed that I had shut the light off and taken my pills. Too bad I woke up an hour later totally confused because the light was still on and the book was open and my glasses were still on. I set the alarm and proceeded to fall back asleep.

I hate to say it, but morning came too soon. It would have been better if I hadn’t received a call from our guests cancelling. But…. cancellations happen, just a fact of life. First things first- I would still have a turkey dinner; I would just have more leftovers. I sliced the eggs to make the deviled egg filling and filled them placing them in the fridge. As opposed to rolls, I decided to make my famous cornbread instead. While the cornbread was baking, I opened the jellied cranberry and dished it out. I prepped the big bird with a butter massage and herbs in the cavity. With the timing planned out, I placed it in the oven for 3 ½ hours. Wowza…. That meant I could chill out for a couple of hours! Maybe I could get someone to peel and cut potatoes for me.

Since company wasn’t coming, I could lounge in my pajamas all day. Planning can be a good thing. So I relaxed and checked out movie times for the evening while he did the potatoes. The turkey came out and I popped the green bean casserole in to bake for a half hour and started the potatoes, stuffing and corn on the stovetop. I set the table with pickles, deviled eggs, jellied cranberries and cornbread. The gravy was being made by the gravy master while I cut the turkey up placed everything on the table. I cannot believe it, but everything went smooth as silk. Gobbled up the turkey and stuffed ourselves before heading off to the overly crowded movie theater. No comment on the movie. I’ll save that for the movie reviewers. As they say… “alls well that ends well.”  Planning can be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment