Popular Posts

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Warming Up to the Idea


A few years ago, I was privy to be part of an experimental program at one of the local hospitals. Just a minor routine surgery, nothing big except for: “The Bair Paws” system.  After being asked if I was willing to partake in the experiment, I was placed into a hospital gown I was told I would find very different. Hmmm…it looked pretty much the same. While I was awaiting my procedure, I was plugged into the Bair Hugger warming unit. Wow! This felt really good. I wasn’t cold and I felt warm and fuzzy awaiting surgery. This was awesome. I needed one of these for at home. I was warmed up before the surgery and for as much as I could remember of my initial stroll into the Operating Room. What I didn’t expect, was the wonderful Post-Op care and warming I would continue to receive. No warming blankets for this gal! I always hated waiting for the recovery room nurse to get me one of those and then, I would always want more. Maybe I was just cold blooded at heart. The Bair Paws system not only is a forced air warming system, but it put you the patient in charge of your comfort level. You can adjust the temperature and the air flow of the gown that is right for you. The important thing is that some believe it helps reduce post operative infections helps the body heal quicker.

I think of this now as I wish I had one of these at home during my fibro days. I lay with a heating pad across my shoulders, wishing it would come down around my arms to my fingertips. Okay, maybe the Bair paws system didn’t go all the way to my fingertips, but I don’t think it needed to. The warmth was welcoming and I was so glad I was asked to partake in the experiment. I urge you to check with your local hospitals if you are going to be having a surgery in the future and see if they use this system. Warm is good unless you are in a very humid climate. Warm is also good when you are having a fibro day, week or month. 

Bair Paws® System logohttp://www.arizant.com/us/bairpawssystem/patient

No comments:

Post a Comment