Popular Posts

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Masked Woman

As Romeo once said to Juliet, “What light through yonder window breaks?”

Since I was a child, I have often asked that question as you could find me in bed ensconced in a blanket that surrounded me, a pillow beneath my head and one over my eyes. Little did I know it was unusual to be so sensitive to light. Ooh, I know….maybe I was part vampire. Wait…no, I couldn’t be as the smell of blood just doesn’t turn me on. I was pasty white though.

Fibromyalgia sufferers often display sensitivity to light in varying degrees. To cope with this without living in a cave, I wear a molded sleep mask to sleep or nap in. The molded sleep mask does not press down on your eyelids and has less pressure on your nose. You can usually pick one up for $10.00 to $15.00. (USD) I have even gone to the extent of placing a folded washcloth beneath my sleeping mask in order to block out more of the light. My bedroom window faces the east with a shade, a layer of sheers with curtains over the top. (I hope the layered look is still in. At least I haven’t added black out material to it……yet.)

When they say hyper-sensitive to light, they aren’t kidding. Ever have the feeling that there is light on somewhere in the house? Your door to your room is closed, how in the world could you possibly know that there was a light on downstairs? Easy, you have light sensitivity. Maybe the up side to that is I can read in very dim light, just another quirk to having Fibromyalgia. Consider yourself unique, you have superhuman powers!

Don’t toss and turn and grumble about the light, embrace the darkness by finding a way to get rid of that bothersome light. Only the person you sleep with has to know you wear a sleep mask. No one has to look at your shades, curtains, or drapes and know that you have secretly added black out material. You can have a relaxing and welcoming area to sleep in. Try going with a darker or richer paint color. I changed the golden color of my walls to an earthy green. Not bright, not pastel, but now I feel like I am in a spa retreat with a rich, warm and inviting color palette that relaxes me and yet absorbs the light rather than reflecting it.

Driving in sunlight? Wear your sunglasses! Buy several pairs and have them available for when you go outside, keep a pair in every vehicle you own. Just keep them handy, but don’t drive at night with them on though. Halogen headlights can be very bright and there are many styles of headlight bulbs out there. Some drivers drive with their brights on, or have maladjusted lights. With oncoming traffic at night, try looking slightly down and off to the side. I tried this by keeping my view down and to the edge line by the side of the road when someone is coming towards me if  I am hypersensitive that nigh to light. Dash light bothersome? Adjust it down to a nice glow. You still need to be able to read the dash, but you can be in control.

There are many ways to get rid of that bothersome light. The light at the end of the tunnel does not have to be a train with a bright broad beam. Just remember to wear your sleep mask and sunglasses, preferably not together.

No comments:

Post a Comment